Goodrum House Guided Tour
Buckhead Heritage members enjoyed a guided tour of history and restoration at the May Patterson Goodrum House, hosted by the Watson-Brown Foundation.
Completed in 1932, the Goodrum House was designed in the English Regency style by Philip Trammell Shutze, an architect at the forefront of Atlanta’s classicist movement in the early 20th century. Meanwhile, Allyn Cox of New York graced the dining room with fanciful chinoiserie murals and Italian-born artist Athos Menaboni adorned the ceiling of the octagonal breakfast room with a mural depicting a delicate bamboo gazebo with birds among its branches. Also known at the Peacock House, this exquisite home was Shutze’s favorite residential commission in Atlanta.
The Watson-Brown Foundation purchased the property in 2008 and is conducting an extensive and meticulous restoration of the home, which was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 2013.
For more information on the history and significance of the Goodrum House, visit our Historic Buildings Page.
View photos from the guided tour on our Facebook page here.
Photo credit: Charlie Miller, Historic Preservation Division, Georgia DNR. For permission to use the above photographs, please contact the Historic Preservation Division.